How to prepare yourself and your child for post-secondary school
If you have a first-time student leaving home for post-secondary school, planning for this important milestone is critical. Here are some tips to help you get through this transition:
- Sit down and discuss how the finances will be handled, what their and your academic goals are and how you plan to keep in touch throughout the year.
- Be sympathetic, supportive and patient. They will eventually settle into their new environment. Trust them!
- Contact your broker to review your property policy to make any necessary changes. If they will be living on residence they will probably be covered by an extension on your policy; however, if they are moving out permanently and renting their own place then they will require their own tenant’s policy.
- You may qualify for a discount on your auto policy if they do not have a vehicle with them permanently and are returning home on holidays and/or weekends.
- If they are moving out permanently and taking a vehicle, changes will need to be made to your auto policy. If they are going out of province, they will require a new policy as auto policies vary provincially.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!
Enjoy and celebrate this milestone!